“Youth is happy because it has the capacity to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.” ―Franz Kafka, 20th century Jewish Writer

Monday, July 27, 2015

400 Years of Sustaining Life

From Tuesday, July 14: Bykhaw, Belarus

I took the first step into the majestic 400-year old stone synagogue in Bykhaw, Belarus. Sickening smells of death filled my nostrils. Feeling drawn to the center of the ancient house of prayer, I lifted my head to look at the top of the synagogue. I was startled by a pigeon that descended down from the dome. There were dozens of pigeons and sparrows living in this abandoned stone fortress! Although Jews no longer seek protection in this building for prayer or shelter, I felt comforted knowing that the structure was still sustaining life.

Standing inside the stone synagogue. 
After testing the acoustics of the synagogue with my group mates, I wandered outside to view the exterior. At first I thought the synagogue looked more like a former castle than a synagogue, but then I noticed a faded Star of David outline on a cement window and counted 12 total windows (a symbolic number in Judaism). These observations led me to the realization that the Jews in Bykhaw had once used this structure for protection in both a spiritual and physical sense.

Standing underneath the cement window with the faded Star of David.
I felt a deep connection to the synagogue. Although my connection felt natural because of my Jewish background, the connection ran deeper than that. The building served as a symbol for the strength of the Jewish people. Despite threats, such as war or demolition, the 400-year old structure is still a synagogue in its true form. I feel rooted. The stones are still standing

Outside view of the synagogue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment